Monday, January 10, 2011

Attic-stuffer

Is anyone else having trouble putting away their Christmas decorations? I've finally made a start (I'm so late), but it kind of makes me melancholy. Christmas came around so fast and now its gone again. The trouble is that each piece has some fact or fun or story attached to it and I'm not sure I'm ready to put it back in its box. Christmas is one of those times where you have to hang onto the past (traditions), while simultaneously letting go of it (New Year). We look forward, we look back. It's a happy time and a sad time. It's the most wonderful time of the year (as the song goes) and the most formidable.
Every year I contemplate putting out fewer decorations, tone things down (slowly, so the kids don't notice). Sometimes a few things stay in the attic. But the next year I declare I'm going all out for Christmas this year, and everything comes down out of the attic... ah, it's fun. Putting them away seems so far away, and not really important in the moment of Christmas deco fever.
But when reality dawns on the twelth day of Christmas, so does something else... I think I need the hanging on to launch me into the letting go and land me in the new.
It's time to put away and move on.
Perhaps it's time I investigated going away for Christmas... give the attic steps a holiday.
I say that every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment